Buttermilk Scones

March 4th, 2014 by Erin Gennow
Orange Buttermilk Scones and Milk

Orange Buttermilk Scones and Milk

TWD – Tuesdays with Dorie

Buttermilk Scones

We enjoyed these scones quite a bit.  I used orange zest and cranberries.  I think I mixed mine a bit too much.  They were ever so slightly tough, but still good.  I usually gather my scone dough, and then put it in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes to hydrate a bit, just like when making a pie dough.  This helps the dough come together with less kneading.  I should have followed my usual procedure.  Ah, well.

I also prefer to use a combination of plain yogurt and milk, to buttermilk.  I think they yield a more tender, flavorful and fluffy scone.  Since these are buttermilk scones, I felt I should use buttermilk.

It was my first time making rolled scones.  I love the texture of the tops of the rolled scones.  Although since they are smaller, I think I eat more of them.

I’ll continue to use plain yogurt over buttermilk, but I did learn a new shaping technique, which I will continue to employ at times.

Orange Buttermilk Scones with Cranberries

Orange Buttermilk Scones with Cranberries

To get the recipe check out the book Baking with Julia, by Dorie Greenspan.

View other Tuesday with Dorie blogger posts.

Two years ago on The Daily Morsel

Three years ago on The Daily Morsel

Tags: , , , , , , ,

10 Responses to “Buttermilk Scones”

1. Karen says:

Your scones look delicious! It is always fun to try out a new technique even if your regular one is favored. Glad you made these this week! :)

2. Sunita says:

The scones look wonderful. The cranberries really stand out. The next time I will roll them up.

3. Beautiful!!
    Your scones sound very crusty outside, yummy!!!

4. Your scones are beautiful! They look so lovely and flaky! It kind of makes me want to bake these again… Mmmmmm…

5. Teresa says:

Interesting technique – I hadn’t heard of hydrating the dough in the fridge before. I’ll have to try it out some time. Your scones turned out beautifully!

6. Saucy gander says:

Your rolled scones look great, really light and tasty. It’s always good to learn a new technique, but next time I’ll try your method of putting the dough in the fridge for 30 minutes.

7. ovenchaos says:

The round scones look so cute! Love the cranberries. I will try your suggestion for keeping the dough in the fridge for a bit – thanks for sharing.

8. SandraM says:

Awesome looking scones! Yum! They really do look wonderful.

9. Your scones look tasty. I have never heard of rolled scones, and made the traditional triangular shaped. Your cranberry version sounds wonderful, I used dried cherries.

10. KayB says:

I agree with you regarding small scones (rolled or not), they’re just to quickly gone! ;-) They look yummy, though!