Johnny Cake Cobblers

August 20th, 2013 by Erin Gennow
Johnny Cake Cobblers with Whipped Cream

Johnny Cake Cobblers with Whipped Cream

TWD – Tuesdays with Dorie

Johnny Cake Cobblers

This recipe was simple to put together and turned out quite well.  While there was quite a bit of topping to fruit ratio, adding whipped cream helped to balance it out.  The cobbler felt almost like an upside-down shortcake.  The cornmeal was interesting, but if I make this again I plan to use just all-purpose flour.

I’m interested in trying this with pear or apple (or pear and apple), with an all flour biscuit.  However, I like crisps so much, I may have a hard time making a cobbler rather than a crisp.  Crisps just have such a great topping to fruit ratio.

To get the recipe check out the book Baking with Julia, by Dorie Greenspan.

Baked Johnny Cake Cobblers

Baked Johnny Cake Cobblers

Cooked Nectarines and Plums

Cooked Nectarines and Plums

Tags: , , , , ,

10 Responses to “Johnny Cake Cobblers”

1. your individual cobblers are darling, with their juices spilling over! I liked this, but had to cut the topping down to get that good ratio.

2. Cathleen says:

Your cobblers look fantastic! The craggly (is that even a word?)tops are perfect. I liked the flavor of the dough and the slight crunch the cornmeal adds.

3. SandraM says:

Great looking cobblers. So pretty.

4. smarkies says:

I like the little portions – they look really cute. Will have to take note of that when I do bake up a batch of my own.
    I tried out the crostata instead.

5. I thought there was a lot of dough too and tossed some of it out. love the shot of the fruit. Gorgeous.

6. saucy gander says:

This looks very pretty! I made the crostata this week, but have added the cobbler to my list of things to try.

7. Ckay says:

Wow, your cobblers look amazing! I made a big one and the ratio fruit/topping was right (at least for me, who never had a cobbler before).
    May I ask which cornmeal you’ve used? I’ve used a very finely ground (it looked like yellow all purpose flour) and loved it.

8. Love the individual ramekins. Old fashioned, delicious looking cobblers. We made ours without corn meal due to allergies, (we used almond meal instead), and it turned out great.

9. Erin Gennow says:

I used Bob’s Red Mill Yellow Corn Meal. It’s more coarse than all purpose flour. I had it already, and since I don’t use corn flour a lot, I didn’t want to buy a white corn flour.

I love that you have a bilingual blog! That’s so cool.

10. Erin Gennow says:

I love the idea of almond meal instead of corn flour. Almond pairs so well with so many fruits. I am going to have to try it.