Trader Joe’s Dark Chocolate Bar – Caramel with Black Sea Salt

June 6th, 2011 by Erin Gennow
Trader Joe's Dark Chocolate Bar with Caramel and Sea Salt

Trader Joe's Dark Chocolate Bar with Caramel and Sea Salt

Review Trader Joe’s Dark Chocolate Bar – Caramel with Black Sea Salt

Yesterday, during my weekly Trader Joe’s shopping trip, I found some new chocolate bars near the checkout that I had to try.  I know… the impulse buy sucked me in, but it was past lunchtime and I was starving.  Not the best time to be at the grocery store.  Waiting for my turn in the checkout line, two new chocolate bars were staring me in the face — Dark Chocolate Bar – Caramel with Black Sea Salt and Dark Chocolate Bar – Toffee with Walnuts and Pecans.  Into my cart they went.  I try not to purchase too many sweets and packaged baked goods and snacks, but every once in awhile it happens.  Tonight we opened the Caramel with Black Sea Salt.  The bar is made with 70% cacao.  The black sea salt comes from the pools of water and lava flows surrounding the Hawaiian Islands, creating a unique smoky taste in the salt.  Salt pairs well with caramel and dark chocolate, enhancing all flavors.  The smokiness of the black sea salt adds yet another dimension.  The bar is gooey — a thin, crisp, dark chocolate shell, sprinkled with coarse black sea salt, encases smooth, sweet, sticky caramel.  The bar lightly snaps when you bite into it.  Have a glass of milk ready and a friend or two to share the 3oz. bar.

Stay tuned next week for a review of the Toffee with Walnuts and Pecans.

Trader Joe's Dark Chocolate Bar

Trader Joe's Dark Chocolate Bar

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

15 Responses to “Trader Joe’s Dark Chocolate Bar – Caramel with Black Sea Salt”

1. Cynthia says:

I tried this delightful treat on June 6, 2011 as well. My oh my the combination of flavors was absolutely wonderful. What a treat. You absolutely must try this one!!!

2. Cherie says:

I loved this bar! The only negative thing I could say, is that it’s SO delicate that you can’t even break a piece off. So much for sharing. Darn I guess. :)

3. Laurie says:

This gourmet chocolate bar was delicious! It’s so good I didn’t want to stop eating it. My boyfriend and I devoured the bar over a period of two days! The smoky black salt perfectly compliments the gooey sweet caramel. We had a messing time sharing it. I enjoyed the snapping sound it makes when you bite into it, and the tastes of the thin dark chocolate.

4. Laurie says:

Boyfriend here. it tastes delicious but it wouldn’t break into pieces, it more or less crumbled. All and all, worth every difficult moment.

5. I’m obsessed with this chocolate. The only problem for me is that I can’t seem to eat less than a whole bar at a time (happened twice already). I’m going to go ahead and blame it on how fragile it is ;)

6. Erin Winton says:

This bar tastes so great. The chocolate is perfect and creamy for a 70% dark (I normally can’t stand dark chocolate), and the caramel is dark and rich and delectable. It does break apart funny and I get sticky caramel on my fingers but I don’t mind! It’s all a part of the grand experience.

7. David says:

I’m currently living abroad and my friend, who is visiting me for this week, brought this treat all the way from the US. It’s so addictive…So delicious.

8. Doreen says:

After having this candy bar, it’s all I think of now!

9. Jonathan Gill says:

I’m pretty sure these bars are Vosges: the flavor, packaging, ingredients, and nutrition are identical…It’s just so surprising: Vosges is $7 per bar, and these are only $2.

Count me in!

10. Erin Gennow says:

Interesting about the bars being Vosges. I haven’t tried Vosges chocolate yet (I suppose unless you count this Trader Joe’s bar). I first saw Vosges at the Chicago O’Hare airport last December and was tempted to buy a bunch for holiday gifts. Everything looked so good! Will definitely check them out too for other flavors I can’t find at TJ’s. Thanks for the comment!

11. [...] probably not a good idea to bring certain kinds of food into the house (again). Specifically the dark chocolate with black sea salt bar from Trader [...]

12. Alyson says:

This chocolate bar is so good I googled it to find out what others are saying. If TJ’s ever discontinues it I might have to boycott.

I love it. I love it so much I want to marry it.

13. [...] A year ago on The Daily Morsel [...]

14. Mark says:

I just found this blog after a friend told me about the comparison. I would be on board that vosges and traderJ’s are the same bar if the chocolate itself didn’t taste so different. The chocolate is definitely not the same. As a chocolate lover, i can totally tell the dif.

15. Erin Gennow says:

Now I’m really curious. I think I need a blind taste test. Although I’m not super familiar with Vosges, I’ve had a couple of their bars now.